DIY Online support for your Canada Immigration Application

DIY Online support for your Canada Immigration Application

Purchase and Inquiry

604-558-3223 (Ext. 802)


January 10, 2023

【I want to invite my parents to Canada! Which immigration category is better for this case?】Updated January 10, 2023

We sometimes receive inquiries from our clients who have immigrated to Canada.  They want to know how to invite their parents to come and live with them or the parents themselves want to live with their children in Canada.

There are “Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP)” and “Super Visa” if you want to invite your parents or grandparents for their longer stay.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages.  Let’s look at each in comparison.


Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP)

Under Parents and Grandparents Program, Canadian citizens and permanent residents can sponsor their parents and grandparents to immigrate to Canada. Parents and grandparents can have a Canadian permanent residency.

Qualifications of Sponsor

  • Permanent Resident or Canadian Citizen
  • Were selected in a lottery for a request of parents/grandparents applying for their Permanent Residency
  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • Must be a resident of Canada

Other requirements

  • You can sponsor your parents and grandparents, related by blood or adoption. The remarriage of the parents/grandparents and their children as well
  • The sponsor’s income for the past three years must meet the required amount
  • Parents/grandparents, and dependents must provide medical exams, police certificates, and biometrics


Super Visa 

Super Visa allows Canadian permanent residents/Canadian citizens to apply for a visitor record for their parents or grandparents that is valid for 10 years. They can visit Canada as often as they like during the 10-year period, and can stay in Canada for up to 5 years at each entry to Canada.


  • Must be the parents or grandparents of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
  • Have a signed letter from your child or grandchild who invites you to Canada
  • Have proof of private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company.  Note that private health insurance must be valid for each entry to Canada (The government announced in June 2022 a statement that medical insurance certificates by non-Canadian insurers will be accepted in the future.)
  • Have no medical conditions
  • Apply for a Super Visa from outside Canada


Which is better PGP vs. Super Visa?

  • The PGP is a permanent residence, whereas the Super Visa is a Visitor Record for up to 10 years. Therefore, it is not possible to work with a Super Visa.
  • PGP has a lottery to become a sponsor, and the number of sponsorship slots is determined each year and is competitive. Super Visa does not have a lottery and has a large number of acceptances.
  • As of January 2023, the processing time for PGP is 38 months, assuming the application is successful, and 166 days for a Super Visa, applying from Japan for example.  In general, the processing time for Super Visa is shorter.
  • PGP requires 3 years of LICO (Low Income Cut Off), whereas Super Visa only demands 1 year of LICO.



While a regular Visitor Record must be renewed every six months, the Super Visa gives you up to five years at the airport once approved. It can be renewed for two years during your stay in Canada, so the parents or grandparents can stay for a maximum of seven years continuously!

In addition, the number of PR sponsors for PGP is limited and competitive, but the Super Visa can be used as a bridge until a PR sponsor becomes available.

The downside of the Super Visa is that you have to have a medical insurance and they can’t work. However, Super Visa is an excellent alternative to the PGP,  and allow parents or grandparents stay with you for a long time.

If you would like to discuss more detail, please visit


[by Kazue Maruyama, YuPass Assistant]

You will be assisted in obtaining your visas or permit by an Experienced Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.

Apply Today!
Contact Us

For company requires an Intra-Company Transferee Work Permit to Canada

Does your customer need a Study Permit?

Follow Us