Let's make "Someday Canada" a reality!

~Start Your Career in Canada with Confidence~

Let's make "Someday Canada" a reality!

~Start Your Career in Canada with Confidence~

Purchase and Inquiry

604-558-3223 (Ext. 802)


January 22, 2018

【Outside vs Inside Canada – Sponsorship application】Updated July 24, 2023

Spouse or common-law partner sponsorship applications can be filed in 2 different ways – Outside or Inside Canada.  You will need to choose one of the 2 options before submission.  Let’s compare which way would be more suitable for you.

Outside Canada application

  • You can be either inside or outside Canada.
  • You can apply for an Open Work Permit at the same time as applying for Permanent Residence application. Previously, it was necessary to extend a Visitor Record, and applying for sponsorship itself will not allow you to stay in Canada.  The new measure means those who are applying from outside of Canada are now eligible for an Open Work Permit as long as you live with your sponsor in Canada.
  • If a sponsor (and you) is outside of Canada, you need a clear explanation of when and the reason the sponsor (and you) is planning to come back to Canada.
  • You can appeal if refused.

In Canada application

  • You must be residing in Canada.
  • While it’s being processed, the applicant should maintain their legal status in Canada.  You also have the option of applying for an Open Work Permit.  You can apply for an Open Work Permit and can work for any employer in Canada.
  • You can not travel outside of Canada.
  • There is no appeal right if refused.

IRCC targets the processing time for Sponsorship application is 1 year.

Related news:Canadian Permanent Residency visa under marriage or a common-law partner – these tips will increase your chance of success.


You will be assisted in obtaining your visas or permit by an Experienced Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.

Apply Today!
Contact Us

For company requires an Intra-Company Transferee Work Permit to Canada

Does your customer need a Study Permit?

Follow Us