Let's make "Someday Canada" a reality!

~Start Your Career in Canada with Confidence~

Let's make "Someday Canada" a reality!

~Start Your Career in Canada with Confidence~

Purchase and Inquiry

604-558-3223 (Ext. 802)


December 16, 2017

I have a business trip soon. What shall I prepare?

As a Business Visitor, you will need to prepare the following items:

  1. eTA  (Electronic Travel Authorization)
  2. Documents for business visitor (for when asked by an Immigration Officer)

Business visitors

A business visitor is someone who comes to Canada to take part in international business activities without being part of the Canadian labour market. Business visitors usually stay in Canada for a few days or a few weeks but are able to stay for up to six months. Business visitors must prove that their main source of income and their main place of business are outside Canada.

Business visitors do not need a work permit.

If you are from a visa required country, you will apply a TRV from an oversea visa office.

What is a difference between eTA and a status in Canada?

An eTA is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. About eTA → https://yupasscanada.com/updates-from-canadian-governments/eta/

You need a status to stay in Canada. This status includes a visitor, a student permit, a work permit for each purpose.

★ eTA is a requirement for traveling to Canada, as it is called travel authorization.   Status (or permit) is to keep you staying in Canada for a specific purpose.

In addition to acquiring an eTA before your trip, it is recommended that you have the following documents in your possession when you arrive at the border:

  • the passport you used to apply for your eTA
  • a passport or travel document that is valid for your entire stay and guarantees re-entry to your country of origin
  • a letter of support from your parent company and a letter of invitation from the Canadian host company
  • other documents such as warranty or service agreements, contracts, etc. if relevant to the visit
  • 24-hour contact details of your business host in Canada
  • proof that you have enough money for both your stay in Canada and your return home

Even if an eTA or a TRV is issued, a border services officer at the port of entry could find that the visitor needs a Work Permit.  If there is a business relationship in place, your letter of invitation can explain the reasons for a visit and help prevent this from happening. Also, when the Canadian business provides 24-hour contact numbers, they can answer questions about the visit.

To summarize the above, eTA is enough to travel to Canada, but afterwards it is necessary to present documents at the airport to stay for business trips.

What actually happens at the airport?

  1. Be sure to tell an immigration officer at the airport that you would like to enter Canada for a business purpose. Do not go to the kiosk where you can finish immigration check through a machine. If found, you may be required a Work Permit.
  2. In most cases, your passport is stamped and you do not need to show the documents you brought. In some cases, you may have to show the documents a Secondary Room. ★ It depends on the judgment of the officer at that time of the entry. It cannot be assumed that it will always be like this.

When staying in Canada for more than 6 months, please be sure to extend your Visitor Record for a business purpose through in-Canada IRCC office.


You will be assisted in obtaining your visas or permit by an Experienced Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.

Apply Today!
Contact Us

For company requires an Intra-Company Transferee Work Permit to Canada

Does your customer need a Study Permit?

Follow Us