DIY Online support for your Canada Immigration Application

DIY Online support for your Canada Immigration Application

Purchase and Inquiry

604-558-3223 (Ext. 802)


May 26, 2023

【Can I immigrate to Canada as a truck driver?】Updated May 26, 2023

“Truck Drivers to Immigrate to Canada”

It is possible to immigrate to Canada as a truck driver. In fact, several permanent residence pathways exist for this occupation.

Truck drivers are the backbone of the Canadian economy. Although they represent only about 5% of the population, they contribute significantly to Canada’s GDP. Delivering goods across the country serves an essential role in advancing growth. This is why truck drivers are so important to the Canadian economy.


To work as a truck driver in Canada, you must have the appropriate truck driving license.


Let’s begin by looking at the general requirements for being hired as a truck driver in Canada.

  • On-the-job-training is provided.
  • Completion of secondary school is usually required.
  • Completion of an accredited driver training course of up to three months duration, through a vocational school or community college, may be required.
  • A Class 3 or D licence is required to drive straight-body trucks.
  • A Class 1 or A licence is required to drive long combination vehicles.
  • Air brake endorsement (Z) is required for drivers who operate vehicles equipped with air brakes.
  • Transportation of dangerous goods (TDG) certification is required for drivers who transport hazardous products or dangerous goods.
  • Additional licensing endorsement or certification may be required to drive articulated trucks.


National Occupational Classification (NOC) for Truck Drivers


You can also ask the school agency to refer you for a school to learn to become a truck driver.


Experience and relevant qualifications are important factors in employment in Canada. In particular, experience and qualifications related to long-distance transportation and handling of specialized cargo are highly valued. Prepare and submit documentation of your background and qualifications to your employer and IRCC.


English or French is the official language in Canada. To work as a truck driver, you must be able to communicate smoothly.


Next, let’s look at the immigration programs you can apply for as a truck driver.


Express Entry

Starting November 2022, 16 occupations, including NOC 773300 Transport Truck Drivers, will be eligible to apply through Express Entry. Applications can be submitted to all provinces except Quebec.


Atlantic Immigration Program

The Atlantic Immigration Program is available in four Atlantic provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador).

To qualify as a truck driver, you must meet the following requirements.

  • Must have an offer of employment from one of the Atlantic Provinces employers
  • Language proficiency at CLB level 4 or above
  • Completion of high school education or higher
  • At least two years of full-time work experience as a long-haul truck driver within the last five years
  • Must have enough funds to cover the cost of immigration



Through the Manitoba PNP Employer Direct Pathway, Manitoba trucking companies can recruit a certain number of qualified truck drivers internationally.

  • The employer must have obtained an LMIA within 12 months
  • Drivers are between the ages of 21-50
  • Completed secondary school (Canadian equivalency)
  • Minimum 3 years of continuous, and verifiable documented work experience as a long-haul truck driver in the past five years in a jurisdiction where the training, licensing and/or regulation of truck drivers
  • Can provide reference letters and other verifiable proof of employment
  • Language proficiency at CLB level 5 or above
  • Sufficient financial resources to establish in Canada
  • Have been thoroughly screened by the employer through an in-person or video interview, with previous and current employment references verified by the employer
  • Have fully disclosed the use of any paid representative involved in the recruitment process including applications for LMIA, temporary work permits, and the MPNP assessment process


Prince Edward Island

The PEI PNP Workforce category requires truck drivers to meet the following conditions in order to apply for permanent residency

  • Have a full-time, non-seasonal (permanent or minimum of two years) job offer from a PEI employer
  • Have at least one year of work experience directly related to the job
  • Be 18 to 59 years old
  • Have successfully completed (at minimum) a secondary school diploma (high school)
  • Language proficiency at CLB level 4 or above
  • Must have enough funds to cover the cost of immigration
  • To be able to establish in PEI
  • Demonstrate a genuine intention to settle in PEI


Nova Scotia

Through NS PNP Occupations in Demand Stream, you may apply for permanent residence in Nova Scotia as a truck driver. To apply under this category, you must meet the following requirements

  • Have a full-time permanent job offer from a Nova Scotia employer
  • Be 21 to 55 years old
  • Have 1 year of work experience related to the job
  • Have a high school diploma
  • Have the appropriate training, skills and/or accreditation for the job
  • Language proficiency at CLB level 4 or above
  • Show enough financial resources to successfully settle in Nova Scotia



The SINP Long-Haul Truck Driver Project is a program specifically designed for truck drivers under the Saskatchewan Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). Long-haul truck drivers are allowed to drive for a maximum of 11 hours, but after driving for 8 hours, they must take a minimum 30-minute break.

  • Have worked for at least six-months (780 hours) of full-time (30+ hours per week) work experience in the job with the employer that has provided you the Job Approval Letter, with a valid work permit.  The work experience must be consecutive work experience
  • Have a current Saskatchewan Class 1A driver’s licence
  • Have a full-time, permanent job offer from your employer. Your employer must be an approved trucking firm in Saskatchewan.
  • Language proficiency at CLB level 4 or above
  • Have a valid SINP Job Approval Letter. Employers must register with the SINP and obtain the Job Approval Letter. They will then provide the Job Approval Letter to you if you meet their hiring qualifications


Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and Saskatchewan are provinces where having limited work experience as a truck driver is acceptable.


Canadian immigration and visa programs undergo frequent changes. It is important to stay updated with the latest information when considering an application.


Related Article

Express Entry

Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) – For permanent residency applications, language test scores are converted to the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) scale. CELPIP scores are directly equivalent to CLB scores.
You can find the conversion table for IELTS scores to CLB levels by following this link.

You will be assisted in obtaining your visas or permit by an Experienced Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.

Apply Today!
Contact Us

For company requires an Intra-Company Transferee Work Permit to Canada

Does your customer need a Study Permit?

Follow Us