Let's make "Someday Canada" a reality!

~Start Your Career in Canada with Confidence~

Let's make "Someday Canada" a reality!

~Start Your Career in Canada with Confidence~

Purchase and Inquiry

604-558-3223 (Ext. 802)


March 20, 2017

Visitor Record, Study Permit, Work Permit, Permit Residency Visa, etc.

Today we will be going back to review the general application requirements for you to apply for the visas and permits listed above.
As a citizen of a foreign country planning to come to Canada, there are different requirements for each case you’ll need to meet, whether you’re coming for leisure, study or work purposes.  This may be hard for some to understand in the beginning. You’ve come to right place. Yumi Ueda, the Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant from YuPass Canada will help get you on the right track.

Q: When will a visa be necessary?

Visa is a document generally used to prove a citizen of a foreign country’s eligibility to enter Canada.

Depending on your place of citizenship, you may need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visa to travel to Canada.
To find out if you need an eTA or a visa, select your country of citizenship from this country list http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp to quickly:

  • find out what you need to come to Canada, and
  • get the application forms and instructions. 

If you have a passport of a visa exempt country, you can enter Canada with only the stamp on your passport at your time of entry, provided you have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

You’ll be able to enter Canada as a visitor and stay for a designated period of time.

To summarize,

-First, let’s check if you need either the visa or eTA 

Difference between visa and Permit for short stay

Visa and Permit for short stay can very often be confused for one another. Visa is, as mentioned above issued for when you choose to enter Canada.

On the other hand, Permit for short stay is a document used to prove your eligibility of staying in Canada for an extended period of time (longer than 6 months.) for whatever your purpose may be. For example, if your purpose of extending your stay was for school/work related reasons, you’ll need what’s called a Work Permit and Study permit.
The time it takes to issue your Permit for short stay will depend on how long you plan to study or the type of Permit you’re applying to.

To sum it all up

★ Permit for short stay is a document that is applied separate of your visa for when you choose to stay for an extended period of time, regardless of your purpose.

*Exception: A Study permit is NOT required if you stay for a total period of shorter than 6 months.

Overview of Work Permit

You’ll need a work permit if you plan on working (regardless of it being paid or unpaid). Many cases will require a job offer from your employer.
There are many different types of Work Permit. Below is a detailed explanation of which type of Work Permit to apply for, depending on your case:

A job offer is required if:

  • If you are being intra-company transferred from Japan to Canada.
  • If you’re hired locally, a Labor Market Impact Assessment would be necessary prior to obtaining the Work Permit

 Below are cases in which a job offer wouldn’t be necessary:

  • You’re on a working holiday (limited to those 18-30 or 35 years of age)
  • You’re eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit
  • You’re looking to gain work experience as a part of a study program while studying in Canada as a requirement for you to graduate. ⇒ Co-Op Work Permit
  • You’re the spouse of a Work/Study permit holder ⇒  Open Work Permit
  • You applied for a Permanent Residency Visa that is still being processed at the Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada

Examples of cases in which you wouldn’t require a Work Permit:

  • You’re coming over for business trips including job related training. ⇒ In this case, you’ll need what’s called a Business visitors permit.
  • You work in a field in which is exempt from applying for a Work Permit (e.g: Church missionary, steward, journalists, public speakers, public entertainers, etc.) ⇒ (In this case, you’ll need to apply separate as a Work Permit exempt)
  • You’re currently a student with limited work hours

Overview of Permanent Residency Visa

A permanent residency visa grants you status as a ‘Permanent Resident.” Holders of this visa are granted the same rights of a Canadian citizen, with the exception of voting rights and applying for a Canadian passport.
As a permanent resident, you must meet certain residency obligations in order to maintain your status as a permanent resident. The obligations require you to be physically present in Canada for at least 730 days (2 years) in every 5-year period. You must also renew your PR card once in every 5-year period.

➢ Economic class

A category of immigrants selected for their skills and ability to contribute to Canada’s economy.  The Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada evaluate them based on our points calculator depending on the program. The points are generally assessed for the language ability, age, education and previous employment background.

➢Family class

For family class, these people may apply as a permanent resident for any one of their relatives (spouse, child, parents and grandparents).  For instance, let’s say a Canadian citizen was married internationally and wanted to apply for a permanent residency visa for their spouse. They would be classified under ‘Family Class.”

➢ Business immigration class

Includes investors or entrepreneur who starts business in Canada

➢ Refugee class

These people fall under this category if people in their own country are at risk of being either deported or persecuted based on their religious beliefs, political views, etc.

We will be talking more about the Family class and Economic class this time.

Economic class

As of Jan. 1, 2015, a new electronic system called Express Entry System has been incorporated into permanent residency visa applications of the Economic class. Please refer to the short video from the Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada  regarding Express Entry System.

Express Entry: Potential Candidates

Some of the programs below are choices to look into when looking to apply for your Permanent Residency visa, as we already mentioned in the video above.

✓ Federal Skilled Worker Program
This program is aimed at mostly at the active professionals and managers. They are mainly assessed based on their score in the point evaluation as well as on their adaptability to Canada.

✓ Federal Skilled Trade Program
This program is for those who work in the hand industry, including plumbers, bread makers, chefs or carpenters. They will first need a job offer from a company located in Canada.

✓ Canadian Experience Class
Applicants must have at least one year of skilled or managerial work experience in Canada.

✓ Provincial Nominee Program

Each province will select people according to their own employment standards.

The requirements will vary depending on province. If the applicant qualifies, they will receive the recommendation from their province and will then need to complete a second step application at the federal government before obtaining their Permanent Residency Visa.

You will also need an offer of employment from a Canadian company.  Most applicants applying under the ‘Economic class category will require the help of your employer.

➢Family Class

It’s possible to apply for a permanent residency visa for spouse, child, parent or grandparents as well.

When sponsoring a spouse, you can expect to obtain their Permanent Residency visa in about 1 year time.
If you’re filing in-Canada application for your spouse, she/he has the option to work by applying for a Work Permit while waiting for their Permanent Residency visa to arrive.

Electric Travel Authorization

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is required for anyone entering from a visa exempt country to Canada, by entering through air travel or through a flight connection at a Canadian airport.  eTA is mostly for those coming for the sole purpose of leisure, sightseeing, etc.  eTA isn’t necessary for applicants applying for the Work Permit and Study Permit. Once successful, your eTA will be valid for up to 5 years from date of issuance or until the expiration date of your passport.  Below is a link to a more in depth explanation of eTA and how it works, from the Immigration Refugee Citizenship and Canada.

What is an Electronic Travel Authorization?(Video)


★ Applying for your eTA is simple.

Refer to the link below for information on how to fill in your application form.


・Frequently asked questions

‘I want to obtain my Permanent Residency/Work Permit as quickly as possible. I’m not sure how to proceed. Could you help me?”

Although exceptions apply, it would be necessary for you to first find employment in Canada prior to coming over in most cases.
We recommend that you contact us once you have a job offer in Canada. If you need help on finding employment prior to your planned arrival, feel free to contact us and we’ll give you a hand.

Tips to find employment in Canada

If you’re looking for a job online, Monster.ca, Job Bank and Craigslist are great sites to look into.

Your other options can also include going to employment agencies and starting from there.

Many people today looking for jobs online often use LinkedIn as a way to show their profile by expanding their social network.
When writing your résumé, we recommend you to write using a Canadian style résumé format.

There are many good sources to look into on the web for preparing the perfect Canadian style résumé.

What is the key to success for finding a job in Canada?

We highly recommend using personal networking as a starting point for those already in Canada looking for employment opportunities. The highest rate of success for applicants have been found to come from networking and through friends, family’s referrals or potential employers. As a former immigrant to Canada myself, I agree that using networking has been the key to success in finding various job opportunities that led me to where I am today.

To summarize

★ Personal networking is the key to success


★ Refer to the link below to check if the job you’re applying to in Canada matches the profession’s median wage.

→ http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/wage-outlook_search-eng.do?reportOption=wage

※Exception:In the examples below, I’ll explain how it is possible for you apply for a Permanent Residency visa even without an employer willing to hire you. 

  • You’re applying for a Permanent Residency Visa under the Family Class
  • You received a high ranking for the Express Entry Eligibility Evaluator, thus allowing you to apply without the help of an employer.
  • You’re a professional athlete or cultural expert
  • You plan on starting your own business in Canada as an entrepreneur

Government processing fees depending on each category

Immigration categoriesCAN$
Temporary Resident Visa 100
Study permit 125
Work Permit
※When applying for your work permit, the following add on fees may also apply, depending on a type of your application:
Working Holiday participation fee – $126

Employer compliance fee- $230

Labour Market Impact Assessment processing fee – $1,000

Open Work Permit holder fee – $100
Permanent Residency Visa1,040
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)7

Advantages of using YuPass Canada

YuPass Canada, an immigration law specialist certified under the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory, is widely recognized and is of professional quality. The Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant will help you based on her many years of experience dealing with all different types of customers in addition to her knowledge of up to date information on the immigration law.   Yumi Ueda has been in the field of immigration since 2003. She has dealt with over 1000 applicants of individual and international company clients. From her working experience in one of the largest law firms in the world, DLA Piper LLP, she dealt with Temporary Resident and Permanent Residency visa applications and many more.

With a high success rate in many of her applications, she is also a well trusted member among the Immigration consultants. With first-hand experience of the hectic application process she has went through herself, she is now here today to help you through this process as your saviour.
‘I will happily support you to the best of my ability to help you fulfill your amazing goals!”


☆Help you realize your potential to work and stay in Canada

☆ High success rate in both temporary permits and Permanent residency visa

☆Strong sense of security for helping you through smoothly for your first day of employment in Canada

☆Strong sense of security with applications for sponsorship of your family members

☆Customizes services for each client based on what suits the individual the most, rather than having a one-for-all service for everyone.

☆Offers online support for anyone with living in areas with restricted access to Immigration Consultants

☆ Support each individual on what they need help on with their budget, time flexibility and English language skills taken into consideration.


At the age of 26, Immigration consultant Yumi Ueda has the dream of coming to Canada to fulfill her goals. She wanted to hire a professional but wasn’t successful due to financial reasons.  Today, she is here to happily help anyone who wants to fulfill their dreams in Canada.

Customer reviews

Mr. K.C /Canadian immigrant, applicant of Work Permit

Great advice offered at a very reasonable price. She was my saviour throughout this whole process.

Mr. E.E/Canadian Immigrant, applicant of both Work Permit and Permanent Residency visa

I was not only satisfied with her knowledge and experience but what really stood out for me was her ability to help me through this process as if she were my saviour.

Mr. H.I /American Citizen, applicant of PR card extension

Advices wisely along with a very persuasive application. I successfully renewed my PR card.


At YuPass Canada, you can choose our services wisely based on your goal, budget and at the flexibility of your schedule.

Today, let’s take our first step towards fulfilling your goal, quickly and efficiently together!

You will be assisted in obtaining your visas or permit by an Experienced Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.

Apply Today!
Contact Us

For company requires an Intra-Company Transferee Work Permit to Canada

Does your customer need a Study Permit?

Follow Us