Outside vs Inside Canada – Sponsorship application
Spouse or common-law partner sponsorship applications can be filed in 2 different ways – Outside or Inside Canada. You will need to choose one of the 2 options before submission. Let’s compare which way would be more suitable for you.
Outside Canada application
- You can be either inside or outside Canada.
- If you are in Canada, you can not apply for an Open Work Permit at the same time as applying for sponsorship. It is necessary to extend a Visitor Record. Applying for sponsorship itself will not allow you to stay in Canada. If your Work Permit, Study Permit or Visitor Record expires, you will need to apply to extend your status.
- If a sponsor (and you) is outside of Canada, you need a clear explanation of when and the reason the sponsor (and you) is planning to come back to Canada.
- You can appeal if refused.
In Canada application
- You must be residing in Canada.
- While it’s being processed, the applicant should maintain their legal status in Canada. With an Inland application, you also have the option of applying for an Open Work Permit. You can apply for an Open Work Permit and can work for any employer in Canada. This option does not exist for Outside Canada application.
- You can not travel outside of Canada.
- There is no appeal right if refused.
IRCC targets the processing time for Sponsorship application is 1 year.
Related news：Canadian Permanent Residency visa under marriage or a common-law partner – these tips will increase your chance of success.
Yumi Ueda, LLB 【Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant】
Originally from Saitama, Japan and immigrated to Canada in 2003. Graduated from the Immigration Practitioner program at University of British Columbia in 2005. Worked at an immigration division of Davis LLP (integrated to the world’s largest law firm DLA Piper) from 2007 to 2016. In 2009, passed the national exam of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), and became a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant. Established YuPass Canada Immigration Inc.
in 2016. Has experience with assisting over 1,000 customers from 28 countries. Member of Canadian Association Of Professional Immigration Consultants
You will be assisted in obtaining your visas or permit by an Experienced Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant.